CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY AT FCPT
Our commitment to corporate responsibility, built on a strong foundation of transparent disclosure and best-in-class governance, creates value for FCPT and our stockholders by helping us mitigate and guarantee board oversight of material risks, effectively communicate with our investors, and retain our talented employees. We set goals for our company and continuously review our internal policies to advance progress in the areas of employee retention, employee wellbeing, and sustainability.
We believe that our commitment to corporate responsibility creates a sustainable competitive advantage in achieving our over-arching goal of generating superior risk adjusted shareholder returns over the long term. For more information on our views related to corporate responsibility, please read “The Character of the Corporation – Stop Fighting ESG“.
Creating a desirable work environment requires a multi-faceted approach. At FCPT we:
- Are committed to pursuing the most talented and ethical people for every position
- We encourage and provide our employees with ample opportunity for professional development and in 2018 our employees, on average, spent approximately 40 hours taking advantage of training or career development opportunities
- Promote a supportive infrastructure where employees can do their best work
- Provide economic incentives that lead to wealth creation aligned with our shareholders
- Treat everyone throughout the company with honesty and respect, including providing anti-harrassment training to all employees, including management
- Manage our policies and operational controls relating to the health and safety of our employees and social risks facing the Company with our “Corporate Social Responsibility Committee” made up of the CEO and several dedicated employees, which meets quarterly and reports to our Board
- We participate in community volunteer days each year with local organizations that align with our corporate citizenship goals
If we accomplish our goal, we will have low employee turnover, high morale, long-tenured expertise, and team members who are also significant owners.
FCPT is committed to providing a safe, positive and engaging work environment for our team members. In addition, we have a commitment to being an equal opportunity employer.
Compensation and Health Benefits
Our employees are awarded compensation in line with those of our peers, including generous healthcare benefits (medical, dental, vision), participation in a 401(k) plan with a matching contribution from FCPT, and restricted stock awards.
The health and wellbeing of our team members is one of the cornerstones to our successful operations. Additional benefits and wellness efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid fitness club membership
- Weekly team lunches and healthy food options
- A commitment to sound office ergonomics, including standing desks for employees
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave
- Flexible working schedules
- Bicycle storage space for commuters
Development and Training
Finding and retaining talented employees is integral to the successful execution of our company’s business strategy. An important aspect is an ongoing performance review process for all team members as well as competency-based training to continue developing our talent. The company performs annual 360-degree reviews of management conducted by a third party who reports to our Board’s Compensation Committee.
The company strives to offer employees the appropriate resources to position them for success within the company. Examples of such training and development opportunities include:
- Group learning sessions; recent examples include presentation skills and negotiation strategies
- Tuition assistance for certain education programs
- Executive and officer-level individual coaching and training
- Reimbursement for online and in-person courses for professional and technical education, licenses, certificates, and/or advanced degrees
- Internship program
- Anti-Corruption training to all employees, including management
We continuously evaluate our current operations, strive to improve our environmental performance, and implement sustainable business practices.
Our focus on sustainability is demonstrated by how we manage our day-to-day activities at our offices in Mill Valley, California and how we operate our business. To ensure we are paying attention to sustainability issues we:
- Review material environmental risks of our property acquisitions and business with the Board every quarter
- Conduct extensive environmental due diligence prior to acquiring any property, and only purchase properties free of environmental issues
- Power down all office equipment and lighting at the end of the day
- Encourage all employees to participate in our recycling program, which includes the recycling of all waste paper products, glass, metal, and electronic wastes, ink cartridges, batteries, cell phones and office equipment; our efforts have resulted in successfully recycling over 2,200 pounds of paper in 2018 and 2019 combined
- Offer multiple trip reduction programs designed to reduce our employees’ carbon footprints, including providing awards to employees for taking alternative uses of transportation and allowing the use of pre-tax earnings for costs related to commuting via public transportation
- Manage our environmental opportunities, risks and programs with our “Corporate Social Responsibility Committee” made up of the CEO and several dedicated employees, which meets quarterly; this team reports to our Board, and is tasked with monitoring our environmental performance and facilitating our environmental sustainability efforts